Ah, the Honda TRX. One of the most popular ATV models ever made, the TRX has cemented a reputation for being a very dependable, rugged, and affordable quad which can be used for pretty much any task, from farm work to offroading, and more! my first ATV was a TRX, so the model holds a special place in my heart. If you are reading this article, chances are that you want to know the top speed of the TRX250 and its other trims. In this article, I provide the verified top speeds of the TRX and all its trims. I also talk about why you can’t reach the top speed in your personal 4-wheeler.
The top speed of a stock TRX250 has been consistently clocked at about 50-51 MPH. This top speed will only be achieved with decent tires and premium gas, so if you can’t reach 50 MPH, check below so that you know what the problem is. Also, this top speed will only be reached if the TRX in question doesn’t have a rev/speed limiter installed. If that is the case, then the quad probably won’t even reach 20 MPH.
But I also decided to find the top speeds of other Honda TRX trims, such as the TRX450, TRX700XX, TRX350, among other models. If you have any of those trims and want to know the top speed, please check below! I also talk about reasons why your TRX is not reaching the top speeds and what to do about it.
Top Speed Of The Honda TRX250
As I said above, a stock Honda TRX250 is going to achieve a top speed of about 51 MPH from is 229cc engine on a straight line. This speed will be achieved as long as the ATV has a good set of tires and no speed/rev limiter installed, so if you can’t reach it, then the culprit might be the rubber being used or the fact that there’s a rev limiter on your quad.
When it comes to the tires, the reason why it slows down your ATV is that worn tires will not grip the road as well as newer tires. To know if you need to replace your tires for newer ones, one trick that I use is sticking a quarter between the treads. The deeper you can go with the quarter, the less likely that the tires are worn. But if the threads look spent, then it might be wise to replace them. Doing so will drastically improve your ATVs performance when cornering and also on a straight line. I’m personally using ITP sport tires are the moment, and I recommend that you do so too.
Also, there’s the chance that your TRX has a speed/rev limiter installed. If this is the case, your ATV will NOT reach top speeds. To know if your quad has a rev limiter, try revving it as much as it can go. It should have a fluttering sound or feeling or might sound like BRAPRAPRAP.
Top Speed Of The Honda TRX450
The TRX450 is a bigger, more powerful Honda TRX that has been acclaimed by the enthusiast crowd. A stock TRX450 is going to do about 63-64 MPH on a straight line, and even more if you do some mods on it. As I said, you will not get more than 63-64 from this 450, but if you do some mods, you can easily reach speeds higher than 75 MPH.
Talking about mods, the TRX450 has become a really popular model for modifications. Many people like installing a K&N air filter and a new performance exhaust, and these changes tend to significantly improve the quad’s acceleration and performance.
Top Speed Of Honda TRX700XX
The Honda TRX700XX was originally introduced several years ago as a response to the uber-popular Yamaha Raptor 700. As its name implies, TRX700XX has an (almost) 700cc engine that produces a lot of power. The TRX700XX has a top speed of about 71 MPH on a straight line when stock, and many people have reached speeds even higher than that with a few modifications.
I’m not sure why Honda decided to discontinue this model after just 1 year. From what I have heard of it sold very well and the model was lauded by Honda enthusiasts. Resale prices on the used market have stayed really high.
Top Speed Of Honda TRX90X
The kid’s version of the TRX250, this is perhaps the best selling kids ATV on the market. When it comes to the top speed, this model will achieve a top speed of 23 MPH on a straight line. Now, most kids ATV have rev limiters installed so that kids don’t go crazy with them and hurt themselves, so you may not be able to reach 23 MPH without tinkering with the limiter first.
Top Speeds Of Other Honda TRX Models:
There are some other lesser-known TRX models. Since most of you probably won’t have these, I decided to group them together.
- TRX 125: 19 MPH
- TRX Fourtrax 300: 56 MPH
- TRX 350 (Rancher): 58 MPH
- TRX 420 (Rancher): 61 MPH
- TRX 200: 48 MPH
How To Make Your TRX Faster
If you are reading this article, chances are that you want to speed up your ATV as much as possible. If so, I recommend that you follow these tips to do so. I did some of the things with my own TRX and it definitely made accelerate much faster and reach higher top speeds. Here are the tips:
- Try To Reduce Weight As Much As Possible: One of the most effective and cheapest ways to make your ATV faster is to simply reduce as much weight as possible from it. You will be surprised with how many useless plastics the TRX holds on. I recommend that you start with the back fenders and some detachable parts of the chasses. You could easily remove 20-30 lbs if you are willing to remove a lot of plastics. I recommend that you read this forum thread to know more about which plastics to remove.
- Install A Performance Exhaust: Another cost-effective way to improve the top speed of your ATV is to install a decent performance exhaust. I have talked about this in my other top speed threads, and I’m going to repeat it here: buying a decent performance exhaust from a good brand like FMF is your best option for improving your ATV speed. It’s obviously more expensive than just reducing your ATVs weight, but it’s also going to do a better job at improving your ATVs speed.
- Install A New Air Filter: This is another overlooked way of making your ATV faster. What I’m saying here is that installing a performance filter is going to nimble up your quad, and also it’s much cheaper than buying a performance exhaust. A decent performance filter shouldn’t be more than 50 bucks, which is perfect considering the added horsepower you get.
Top Speeds Of Other ATV Models
Aside from owning a TRX, I’m also the proud owner of a Raptor 700 and YFZ 450. I decided to also write about the top speeds of those 2 models, so if you are interested in knowing them, please check below!